The Open VPN server is provided as a virtual machine disk image formatted for use with VMWare's vSphere Hypervisor (also known as ESXI). VMware vSphere Hypervisor is a free platform for running a virtual machine on an applications server (available here).
Virtual Machine Hypervisor Requirements
The virtual machine where OpenVPN Server runs requires the following resources on a hardware applications server:
- Minimum one 64-bit processor core that includes Intel VT-X or AMD RVI support.
- 4 GB RAM (required by VMware vSphere Hypervisor version 5.5)
- 20 GB hard drive space
Detailed specs can be found at VMWare's site (VMWare 5.5). VMWare specs are generally sized for large-scale production environments where hardware will support many VMs. Take that into consideration when reviewing the complexity of VMWare requirements.
- Public IP Address port-forwarded to OpenVPN Server, using Port 1194 UDP.
- Routing in the network default gateway to the VPN phone subnet.
- The Wave Server and the OpenVPN server should be on same subnet.