Products Affected: Wave 5.0 and later.
Vertical Updates fails to check for updates. "Failed to Check for Updates" will appear in red in the bottom status bar of the Vertical Updates window when Check Now or Update Now is pressed. This assumes that Vertical Updates is already correctly configured (see Use Vertical Updates).
This occurs when the Wave cannot connect to the update servers. These servers use the domain address: Updates.Vertical.Com.
Common causes include:
- No Internet Connection
- No DNS Name Resolution
- Wave Time Is Off
To identify which cause must be fixed, use the following tests:
- No Internet Connection- Run a Ping test from the Wave to a public IP address (220.127.116.11)
- No DNS Name Resolution- Run a Ping test from the Wave to a public domain name (Updates.vertical.com)
- Wave Time Is Off- Compare Wave system time to other time source
To fix each problem, try the following:
- No Internet Connection-
- Check physical network connections on Wave.
- Verify Wave network settings in IP Network Settings (see Set IP Network Settings).
- Check with IT Administrator that Wave is allowed outbound internet access on Port 80.
- No DNS Name Resolution-
- Check DNS settings in IP Network Settings (see Set IP Network Settings).
- Verify DNS name resolution to updates.vertical.com works with the specified DNS server from another PC.
- Check with IT Administrator that Wave is allowed to make DNS requests to the DNS Server.
- Wave Time Is Off- Synchronize Wave time (see Synch Wave Time).
Test the fix by returning to Vertical Updates and pressing the Check Updates Now (see Use Vertical Updates).